[R-sig-Geo] rgdal

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Fri Jun 18 02:40:27 CEST 2010

Hello all:

I read this in the rgdal documentation:

> The GDAL and PROJ.4 libraries are external to the package, and, when
> installing the package from source, must be correctly installed first.

Does "correctly" mean something different from the default?  I installed
PROJ.4 on my Mac OS X (10.6) machine, using 'make all' and 'make
install'.  I saw no errors, and I see libproj.a sitting happily in
/usr/local/lib which seems pretty standard to me, but when I try to
install rgdal, I get this:

  checking proj_api.h usability... yes
  checking proj_api.h presence... yes
  checking for proj_api.h... yes
  checking for pj_init_plus in -lproj... no
  Error: libproj.a not found.
  If the PROJ.4 library is installed in a non-standard location,
  use --configure-args='--with-proj-lib=/opt/local/lib' for example,
  replacing /opt/local/* with appropriate values for your installation.
  If PROJ.4 is not installed, install it.

Before it was installed, the configure choked on the line about
proj_api.h.

It was already installed, but per those directions, I tried this:

> install.packages(c("rgdal"),lib="/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library",contriburl=contrib.url(getOption("repos"),'source'),type='source',dependencies=TRUE,configure.args=c(PROJ='--with-proj-lib=/usr/local/lib'))

But it didn't seem to change the result, and I get the same message
about not being able to find libproj.a, even after it does find
proj_api.h

(Incidentally, this came to me via an attempted install of a package
that depends on rgdal, so I didn't have a chance to read the rgdal
documentation until after the original install failed.  I wish there
were some way to flag those kinds of dependencies in a way that
install.packages could deal with.)

Can anyone suggest why this configure isn't working and how I can fix
it?

Many thanks in advance,

 -tom