[R-sig-Geo] maximum likelihood variogram parameter estimation, non-Euclidian distances

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Thu Jul 15 09:43:45 CEST 2010

On 07/15/2010 01:24 AM, Timothy W. Hilton wrote:
> Hello R-sig-Geo list,
>
> I want to calculate maximum likelihood estimations for variogram
> parameters (sill, range).  My data locations span North America, thus I
> believe that UTM coordinates (or any other projection) will distort
> distances between sites too much for me to use Euclidian coordinates.
>
> As far as I can tell, geoR will not accept non-Euclidian coordinates or
> allow the user to specify a distance function.  gstat accepts latitude
> and longitude to define locations, but does not include maximum
> likelihood estimation for the range (fit.variogram.reml estimates sill
> only).

True, but you could write your own brute-force loop around it, or
optimize() around it, trying range values and selecting the one with the
maximum likelihood, or write out the likelihood directly and use optim.

Another problem you might be facing is that not all of the usual
variogram models are suitable (in the sense of positive definite) for
spherical distance measures. I'm still searching for a good reference on
this issue.