[R-sig-Geo] goodness of fit for anisotropic model in 4 directions

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Sat Aug 28 18:53:13 CEST 2010

the SSErr attribute is the (weighted) sum of squared errors minimized by
the procedure called for. So if weights are Nh, then SSErr is

sum_i Nh_i (gammaModel_i - gammaSample_i)^2

or see the second equation on page 66 of the longer reference manual for
gstat, http://gstat.org/gstat.pdf for a properly formatted version.

This implies, that this SSErr depends on the weights chosen, and cannot
be compared accross different weighting schemes.

For comparing the quality of a particular variogram, I would use cross
validation (krige.cv) on kriging predictions to compare various
variogram models. The aestetics of the fit is usually seen as less
important compared to how well the variogram worked for spatial prediction.

--
Edzer Pebesma
http://www.52north.org/geostatistics      e.pebesma at wwu.de