[R-sig-Geo] splitting a map into areas by number of addresses

Sven Schmiedel sven at cancer.dk
Thu Aug 26 14:50:09 CEST 2010

Dear list,

I have the following problem: I have around 1,000,000 addresses of a country and want now to split the area in artificial "administrative units" with exactly 1,000 addresses per unit.

As I did not find a direct way to do this, my idea was to chose randomly 1,000 addresses, use the voronoi tessellation (from library PBSmapping) for these and look how many addresses are found in each piece this mosaic. However, the result is not stable and the number of addresses varies quite a lot from unit to unit.

Hence, I would like to know if there is a procedure/package that is incorporating a function that is able to do this splitting with a fixed number of addresses. If anyone has another program or an methodological approach to this problem I would be happy about this information.

Best wishes,

Sven Schmiedel

PhD student, MSE in Epidemiology
Institute of Cancer Epidemiology