[R-sig-Geo] Mapping multiple attributes at once

Pierre Roudier pierre.roudier at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 00:17:36 CEST 2010

Hello Thiago,

First, I owe you and the list a reproducible example (my first example
does not run properly - my bad):

dat <- data.frame(x=runif(50), y=runif(50),
category=sample(letters[1:3], size=50, replace=TRUE),
continuous=runif(50))
# You may want to do some spatial analysis on that data.frame
library(sp)
coordinates(dat) <- ~x+y
# Some spatial analysis here

# Now you want to plot it
library(ggplot2)
df <- as.data.frame(dat) # backtransforms dat into a data.frame object
(ggplot2 does not handle sp objects)
# Here I chose to plot the continuous variable with the size of the
bubbles, and the categorical variable with the colours
my.plot <- ggplot(data=df, aes(x=x, y=y)) +
geom_point(aes(size=continuous, colour=category)) + coord-equal()
print(my.plot)

Second, about plotting a shape file: yes, it is possible. Consider
this blog entry for example:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2009/11/choropleth-challenge-result.html

Basically, you want to use either geom_path() for simple state
boundaries, or geom_polygon() for polygons (e.g. you want to map some
attribute by state).

Sorry I haven't much experience with this. That could be a good
question on the ggplot2 mailing list
(http://groups.google.com/group/ggplot2).

Pierre