[R-sig-Geo] Mapping multiple attributes at once

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Aug 24 21:43:13 CEST 2010

I don't know ggplot2 well enough to answer about that, but you can use the symbols function to add symbols to an existing plot (which could be the map plotted using maps or maptools/sp etc.).  For even more control/options you could look at my.symbols or subplot in the TeachingDemos package (the help page for subplot shows an example of plotting barcharts onto a map).

For general plotting on maps interest (possibly for when you don't have a shapefile) there is the RGoogleMaps package which will help you get a map (bitmap image, not shapefile) from google or openstreetmaps plot it as the background of a plot, then add points.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center