[R-sig-Geo] Create ESRI personal geodatabase (.mdb) in R?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Oct 25 12:14:42 CET 2009

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009, Dan Putler wrote:

> The response I got from the gdal-dev list is that starting in GDAL/OGR
> 1.6.0 there is a read-only driver or SpatiaLite files, and that there is
> currently a working read and write driver for SpatiaLite in the GDAL/OGR
> 1.7.0 SVN. OSGEO4W currently has the default install GDAL/OGR 1.5.4, but
> GDAL/OGR 1.6.0 as an advanced install option. Eventually the SpatialLite
> read/write capability for GDAL/OGR will make it to OSGEO4W, so it is
> something of a moot point now.

Dan,

I agree that something more robust than shapefiles would be an advance,
but this possible alternative does depend on relatively many users having
access to read and write functionality.

With regard to spatial objects and SQLite, had you considered giving the
CRAN SQLiteMap package a trial run?

http://cran.r-project.org/package=SQLiteMap

It is using a different set of extensions from SpatiaLite, but has been
available for some time and does run cross-platform for R users. I haven't
used it myself, but it is self-contained (no dependencies other than those
on CRAN).

Hope this helps,

Roger