[R-sig-Geo] Collocated Cokriging of snow height data

Stefan Zollinger szollinger at access.uzh.ch
Fri Nov 27 09:39:23 CET 2009

Hi

I am trying to spatially interpolate snow height data of about 100 stations
in a mountain range. In addition, I have a large DEM (SRTM, 90 meters
resolution, 2.5 million cells) which also serves as an interpolation raster
(just like meuse.grid). As the snow height and the height above sea level
correlate strongly, I intend to use collocated cokriging to improve the
estimation, which is why I studied the example in "Applied Spatial Data
Analysis with R" by Roger Bivand, Edzer Pebesma and Virgilio Gómez-Rubio.

I have the following questions (especially to the authors):

1. Why and how is the new attribute "distn" being calculated? Would it not
be sufficient to use the existing attribute "dist" for the collocated
cokriging (as it shows the same variogram-model properties)?

2. How are the two variogram-models "vd.fit" and "vx.fit" being calculated
out of "v.fit"? I understand that the range and the type of the three models
remains the same, but how are the sills and nuggets being changed?

3. How would the calculation of "vd.fit" and " vx.fit" change if a trend
model was used, like "log(zinc) ~ sqrt(dist)"?

Any advice or help will be highly appreciated

Stefan Zollinger