[R-sig-Geo] extract values to points

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Tue Mar 10 11:04:23 CET 2009

Hi,

An option using only R is to use the overlay() command from the sp
package, try running this example:

# Load data
library(sp)
data(meuse)
# point data
coordinates(meuse) = ~x+y
data(meuse.grid)
# grid data
gridded(meuse.grid) = ~x+y

overlay(meuse.grid, meuse)
# Returns the indices in meuse.grid correpsonding to the points in meuse
# get the data from meuse.grid, for example the column "dist"
# a non spatial vector
dist = meuse.grid$dist[overlay(meuse.grid, meuse)]
# A spatialPointsDataFrame
dist = meuse.grid[overlay(meuse.grid, meuse), "dist"]

Also check out the rgdal pacakge to get your data into R-spatial objects.

cheers,
Paul

Frauke Barthold wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have a soilmap as an Ascii grid and a dataframe with x and y coordinates (these are sampling points). I would now like to extract values from the soilmap to the dataframe based on location, the  x and y values. Is there any way to do this in R?
>
> Cheers,
> Frauke

Drs. Paul Hiemstra
Department of Physical Geography