[R-sig-Geo] 'Cleaning' unioned polygons using sp and maptools...

Peter S. Hayes pshayes at maine.rr.com
Tue Mar 3 15:08:45 CET 2009

Hi List,

Here's a question... I have a watershed polygon that has been 'tiled'
into separate and non-overlapping cells according to a combination of
attributes. The original watershed boundary seems not to be available in
undivided form and I was interested in retrieving it from the divided
shape file. Using ESRI resulted in several internal boundaries that were
not removed. Using 'unionSpatialPolygons' produced even more non-removed
internal boundaries.

Is there a simple means of 'cleaning' this to remove duplicate
boundaries and no-longer-connected internal boundaries? I have looked a
little (and admit to being a relative neophyte in using the packages)
but haven't found anything that appears promising. I can certainly begin
to appreciate the difficulty of finding and removing these boundaries,
at least on a conceptual level... a problem in graph theory? (not at all
my area...)

Thank you all!

Pete