[R-sig-Geo] New release of rgdal

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jan 20 14:58:39 CET 2009

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Roger Bivand wrote:

> To all rgdal users!
>
> The new rgdal release (0.6-1) is not yet stable in some respects, some of
> which are showing up as we go.
>
> Do not update to this release for production work yet, but do update if you
> are willing to help sort out problems.
>
> The Windows binary from CRAN will bundle the minimal GDAL and PROJ.4
> binaries, and their support files as before.
>
> The source package *no longer* bundles the GDAL or PROJ.4 support files -
> bundled NAD Intel-endian binary files were causing trouble on OSX PPC for
> understandable reasons. From 0.6-*, source-installed rgdal (all installs
> except the Windows CRAN build) will need to rely on the local platform
> support files. If need be, set environment variables PROJ_LIB and GDAL_DATA
> manually, but try first to see whether GDAL and PROJ.4 autodetect correctly.
>
> Expect rapid releases for the next few days until things stabilise.

The 0.6-5 release, coming to a CRAN near you soon, is more stable. The
CRAN Windows binary will work very much as before, but incorporates the
latest GDAL release, with improved drivers, including the Arc ASCII grid
driver discussed on the list recently.

Two notes for Linux users who install PROJ.4 from binary packages (GDAL
installs are less problematic). Those using RPMs should install four
packages: proj, proj-devel, proj-epsg, and proj-nad, in order to run
smoothly. Users of Debian and derived distributions should note that no
grid datum transformation files are included in the proj package - rgdal
will install, but during ./configure, a Note: will be seen showing that
grid datum transformation cannot be carried out.

These issues are mentioned on http://www.r-project.org/Rgeo, and in the
package README file:

file.show(system.file("README", package="rgdal"))

In addition, you may be aware of activity going on to make the provision
of open geostatial software easier on the Windows platform in the OSGeo4W
project:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo4W

The project is still at an early stage, but does provide GDAL binaries for
Windows with more drivers than the CRAN rgdal binary package. The OSGeo4W
installer may be downloaded from:

http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/osgeo4w-setup.exe

giving a choice of packages - for rgdal, at least PROJ.4 and GDAL are
needed. I have built a very experimental binary package of rgdal against
OSGeo4W:

http://spatial.nhh.no/R/Devel/rgdal_0.6-6.zip

If you choose to try this preliminary version, please read:

file.show(system.file("README.windows", package="rgdal"))

for further details; in particular, note that you should start R from the
OSGeo4W console command line, something like:

"C:\Program Files\R\R-2.8.1\bin\Rgui.exe"

in order to pick up OSGeo4W environment variables.

I'd be grateful for feedback.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no