[R-sig-Geo] analyse geo-time data

Tomislav Hengl T.Hengl at uva.nl
Tue Jan 13 10:34:37 CET 2009

Dear Katona,

R (i.e. its packages) are definitively suited for analysis of spatio-temporal data. Try searching
the packages in the [http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Environmetrics.html] views; in fact, there
is a section dedicated to time-series [http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/TimeSeries.html].

There are several good papers on spatio-temporal interpolation e.g.:

Pebesma, E.J., Duin, R.N.M., Burrough, P.A., 2005. Mapping sea bird densities over the North Sea:
spatially aggregated estimates and temporal changes. Environmetrics 16(6), 573--587.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/env.723
(The authors claim to have put the R script on-line but I could not locate them anymore)

If you are interested in the analysis of time-series data, take a look at this book:

Chatfield, C., 2003. The Analysis of Time Series: An Introduction (6th edition). CRC Press, pp. 352.
http://people.bath.ac.uk/mascc/TS

Dynamic modeling of spatial phenomena is more difficult (e.g. dynamic simulation of flu spreading).
Maybe you should consider using some diffusion algorithm from ecology? E.g.: diffusion function
implemented in the "simecol" package:

http://bm2.genes.nig.ac.jp/RGM2/pkg.php?p=simecol

Or maybe consider using some hydrological flow models as implemented in e.g. SAGA GIS.

Few remaining questions:
1. What kind of variables are your talking about? Give some examples.
2. Does your data has a point support or is it areal (polygons)?

HTH,

Tom Hengl
http://spatial-analyst.net