[R-sig-Geo] Help with anti-clockwise polygon in owin

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Jan 8 22:10:55 CET 2009

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Corey Sparks wrote:

> Dear list,
> I have a point pattern that consists of  wells on an island.  I am interested
> doing some exploratory point pattern analysis on this data (such as Gest in
> spatstat).  The island as you can imagine is an irregular polygon defined by
> 1815 points.  When I try to create the observation window for the point
> pattern in spatstat using
>
> owin(x=range(westcoords$X), y=range(westcoords$Y), poly=list(x=westcoords$X,
> y=westcoords$Y))
> where westcoords are the coordinated of the polygon
> I get:
> Error in owin(x = range(westcoords$X), y = range(westcoords$Y), poly = list(x
> = westcoords$X,  :
> Area of polygon is negative - maybe traversed in wrong direction?
>
> Since the origin of the coordinates is a shapefile I created myself, how can
> I get around this "traversed in the wrong direction" problem?  I can make the
> data this is based on available if anyone would need it.

Could you try using readShapeSpatial() in maptools to read in the
shapefile, then coerce the polygon object to an owin object, something
like:

library(maptools)
pl_obj <- readShapeSpatial("my_file.shp")
class(pl_obj)
plot(pl_obj, axes=TRUE)
owin_obj <- as(as(pl_obj, "SpatialPolygons"), "owin")
plot(owin_obj)

The reason for doing this is that if a ring in a SpatialPolygons...
object, created by nested calls to Polygon, does not seem to be a hole -
that is that it is a singleton ring in this case, its ring direction will
be reversed automatically. The heuristics are only approximate, but may
get you where you want to go. If this doesn't help, see if you can make
the offending shapefile available for helpers to hack on.

Roger