[R-sig-Geo] Converting kml to shape (readOGR)

Henk Sierdsema Henk.Sierdsema at sovon.nl
Tue Jan 6 13:49:24 CET 2009

Hi Paul,

Here is the requested information:

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.8.0 (2008-10-20)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=Dutch_Netherlands.1252;LC_CTYPE=Dutch_Netherlands.1252;LC_MONETARY=Dutch_Netherlands.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=Dutch_Netherlands.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] rgdal_0.5-33 sp_0.9-29

[1] grid_2.8.0      lattice_0.17-17

Codes that produces the error:
> kml <-readOGR(dsn=".",layer="Gebied2.kml")
Error in ogrInfo(dsn = dsn, layer = layer) : Cannot open layer

and the traceback:
> traceback()
3: .Call("ogrInfo", as.character(dsn), as.character(layer), PACKAGE = "rgdal")
2: ogrInfo(dsn = dsn, layer = layer)
1: readOGR(dsn = ".", layer = "Gebied2.kml")

And thnx for the remark on the list.

Henk

Henk Sierdsema

SOVON Vogelonderzoek Nederland / SOVON Dutch Centre for Field Ornithology

Rijksstraatweg 178
6573 DG  Beek-Ubbergen
The Netherlands
tel: +31 (0)24 6848145