[R-sig-Geo] WMS, WFS, WCS an WPS for R

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Sun Nov 23 20:41:04 CET 2008

Interesting question!

Of course, all these are services, and R is not typically a service or a
client, but rather an environment to do statistical computing. Reading
and writing can, as mentioned, be done to some extent through OGR (WFS,
e.g. by writing gml) and GDAL (WCS, reading). Note that gml has many
versions, and the more recent ones are typically monsters of complexity;
OSGEO seems to support mainly older versions or subsets for specific
application areas. WMS is more something of an output, useful for those
who want to see the map rather than have the data.

We're currently working in the intamap project (http://www.intamap.org)
to provide R interpolation facilities through a web processing standard,
which basically means GIS (or any other) processing through an OGC
complient web service (WPS, as opposed to e.g. SOAP). Here, R does the
back end work, and the WPS front-end takes care of input (an O&M,
observations and measurements document, xml) and output (gml for
geometry, UncertML for probability distributions). If someone is
interested in testing this, please let me know.

Other OGC services to check out are those in the SWE area: SOS, SPS,
SAS, this list is growing faster than an adult can learn remembering
abbreviations.
--
Edzer