[R-sig-Geo] WMS, WFS, WCS an WPS for R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Nov 22 14:01:16 CET 2008

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> 2008/11/22 Hisaji ONO <hi_ono2001 at ybb.ne.jp>:
>> Hello.
>>
>>  There are lots of services of OGC(Open Geospatial
>> Consortium:http://www.opengeospatial.org/)'s standard
>> based Geo-Web ervices incluing WMS(Web Map Service),
>> WFS(Web Feature Service), WCS(Web Coverage Service) and
>> WPS(Web Processing Service) all over the world.
>>
>>  Does anyone try to use these services from R?
>
> Any access to WMS and WFS would probably be best done using GDAL and
> OGR via the rgdal package.... Let's see...
>
> GDAL has a WMS driver, but it seems you do have to create a 'local
> service description' file. www.gdal.org seems down at the moment, so
> here's a google cache link:
>
> http://216.239.59.132/search?q=cache:21OOLtr9yj0J:www.gdal.org/frmt_wms.html+gdal+wms&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk
>
> For WFS, there's some recent discussion on the gdal-dev list:
>
> http://www.nabble.com/OGR-WFS-driver-td20485363.html
>
> so it might be coming soon. Can you wait?
>
> To do WFS from scratch in R is probably going to need XML parsing,
> and then it'll probably also need OGR too unless you want to hand-code
> understanding the returned GML...

Yes, so OGR needs to be built against the Xerces libraries. I agree that
WMS and WFS are best handled by using work that is already going on in the
OSGeo community. An example of R in a a WPS setting is:

Katharina Henneböhl, Edzer Pebesma:
Providing R functionality through the OGC Web Processing Service

given at useR! 2008 in Dortmund in August - there is an abstract on the
conference website. I think that their trial site may be ready before
long, together with the underlying software.

Roger