[R-sig-Geo] installing rgdal on a Mac OS 10.5

Jonathan B Thayn jonthayn at ku.edu
Thu May 15 06:15:12 CEST 2008

This is a question for all you Mac computer users.  I am trying to install the rgdal package on my computer, an Intel MacBook OS 10.5.  I have installed all of the frameworks and the proj4 and the sp packages.  I used the Local Binary Package on the R Package Installer to install rgdal_0.5-24.tgz that I downloaded from www.kyngchaos.com.  The rgdal package appears in my R Package Manager, but the following errors appear when I try to load the rgdal package.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully, it's an easy problem to fix. Thanks.

Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/rgdal/libs/i386/rgdal.so':
  dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/rgdal/libs/i386/rgdal.so, 6): Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/rgdal/libs/i386/rgdal.so
  Reason: image not found
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'rgdal'