[R-sig-Geo] Problem activating manageR

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Thu May 22 18:39:00 CEST 2008

Carson,

I decided to try manageR and ran into a problem. It appears to be
specific to Mac OS X, but I'm hoping you or someone on this list will
be able to help. It installs correctly, as far as I can tell, but
does not activate.

When I go activate manageR  using the QGis plugin manager, I get this:

Couldn't load plugin "manageR" from
['/Users/macq/.qgis//python/plugins',
'/Applications/qgis0.10.0.app/Contents/MacOS/share/qgis/python',
'/Applications/qgis0.10.0.app/Contents/MacOS/share/qgis/python/plugins',
'/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python23.zip',
'/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3',
'/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/plat-darwin',
'/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/plat-mac',
'/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/plat-mac/lib-scriptpackages',
'/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/lib-tk',
'/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload',
'/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages',
'/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Extras/lib/python']
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "", line 3, in ?
  File "/Users/macq/.qgis//python/plugins/manageR/__init__.py", line 35, in ?
   from manageR import manageRPlugin ImportError: cannot import name
manageRPlugin

Note that version 2.3 of python is being searched, within /System/Library/...

QGis itself requires a newer version of python than comes with the OS.
The OS X binary installer for Qgis installes python 2.5 in
     /Library/Frameworks
*** not *** /System/Library
Which means that I now have two versions of python installed.

It looks like there's a search path that is searching the wrong
python installation, so maybe the wrong python is being used to load
the plugin??

But I don't know where that search path is defined or controlled. Any
suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks
-Don

p.s.
With regard to having two versions of python:

python[118]% which python
/usr/local/bin/python
python[119]% python --version
Python 2.5.1
python[120]% /usr/bin/python -V
Python 2.3.5

And /usr/local/bin/python is actually a link to the python in
/Library/... (not /System/Library/....)

I did downloaded and installed NumPy and Rpy, and a few tests succeeded.