[R-sig-Geo] Package for automatic interpolation

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Wed Mar 12 13:14:18 CET 2008

Hi Thomas,

The automatic fitting procedure checks a range of possible variogram
models, including Spherical, Exponential, Gaussian and Matern models.
Each of these models could lead to a singular model fit. The fitting
function in gstat (fit.variogram) says the following on singular model fits:

"""On singular model fits: If your variogram turns out to be a flat,
horizontal or sloping line, then fitting a three parameter model such as
the exponential or spherical with nugget is a bit heavy: there's an
infinite number of possible combinations of sill and range (both very
large) to fit to a sloping line. In this case, the returned, singular
model may still be useful: just try and plot it. Gstat converges when
the parameter values stabilize, and this may not be the case. Another
case of singular model fits happens when a model that reaches the sill
(such as the spherical) is fit with a nugget, and the range parameter
starts, or converges to a value smaller than the distance of the second
sample variogram estimate. In this case, again, an infinite number of
possibilities occur essentially for fitting a line through a single
(first sample variogram) point. In both cases, fixing one or more of the
variogram model parameters may help you out. """'

regards,
Paul

--
Drs. Paul Hiemstra