[R-sig-Geo] LL from bearing and distance

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Sep 27 19:40:22 CEST 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Eric Archer wrote:

> Is there a package that contains a function that will allow me to calculate
> the ending latitude and longitude given a starting point on the earth's
> surface and bearing and distance?  I have searched the archives but have been
> unable to find one and would like to double check before I try to roll my
> own.  Thanks for any pointers.

Nothing for this case - azimuth for two points is in gzAzimuth() in
maptools, so that might be a way in. There is C code for the spDistsN1()
function in the sp package, visible in the CVS repository at the r-spatial
site at sourceforge, but neither of these meets your need directly. If you
do "roll your own", please consider contributing to maptools.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no