[R-sig-Geo] R vs GSLIB

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr paulojus at c3sl.ufpr.br
Fri Feb 16 13:05:46 CET 2007

Thierry

Indeed many algorithms between GSLIB and some geostats packages in R (have
a look at the Spatial CRAN task view) are similar, although they can
produce sligtly different results in some cases.
This is specially valid for the "core" goestats algorithms (SK, OK, KTE,
UK)

However, there are algorithms in GSLIB without an analogue within the R
packages, and there are some implementations in R packages without
analogue in GSLIB.

E.g. some examples for the former are given by some variograms estimators,
p-Field, sasim, sisim, gtsim among others.
R is a language and therefore you can aways expand what is available with
some programming.
You can have similar versions in R for those GSLIB specific programs but
may require a bit of programming.

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr
LEG (Laboratório de Estatística e Geoinformação)
Departamento de Estatística
Universidade Federal do Paraná
Caixa Postal 19.081
CEP 81.531-990