[R-sig-Geo] Good projection for N/S America?

White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov
Fri Apr 6 18:39:12 CEST 2007

Thanks, Roger.  There was a request to see the R code for these figures.
Attached is the script for the second PDF file plus the input boundary
file I used for the hemisphere.  The three projection functions are for
simple spherical, rather than ellipsoidal, models of the earth.  The
graticule generating function could be more elegant.  I'm not yet up to
speed with sp and the many new spatial capabilities in R so please
excuse the old style "lines()" format encoding and graphics.

Tim, I don't know whether proj4 could do the interrupted sinusoidal.

(See attached file: whemi.projs.r)(See attached file: whemi.lin)

r-sig-geo-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch wrote on 2007-04-06 04:51:53:

> Since this topic is of general interest, I've made an exception and
> allowed (this once!) a posting of more than 200K. In general, if
graphics
> are big, please consider either an alternative device (png is often
OK),
> or posting just a URL to the real file.
>
> With apologies to list members on dial-up connections in the field,
>
> Roger
>

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov wrote:
>
> > Yes, for many uses that is my choice also.  For the conterminous US
for
> > example, the Lambert azimuthal has lower mean distortion than the
> > commonly used standard projection, the Albers conical equal area,
> > although Albers was chosen by USGS as a standard because of lower
> > extreme distortion than many other possible projections.
> >
> > For our hemispherical application, because we were gridding the
data, we
> > wanted parallels of latitude to be parallel in the projected
coordinate
> > space, which we wouldn't get with the Lambert azimuthal.
> >
> > (See attached file: whemi.projs.pdf)
> >
> > Tim Keitt <tkeitt at gmail.com> wrote on 2007-04-05 10:56:09:
> >
> > > Thanks. My application is not that demanding. Really, I just want
it
> > > to look reasonable. My plan is to lay out the postings in the
> > > projected coordinates and then back transform into geographic
> > > coordinates for analysis. I tried lots of projections and found
> > > Lamberts Azimuthal Equal Area to be quite good. I like the look of
the
> > > Azimuthal Equidistant better, but figured equal area was a good
> > > choice.
> > >
> > > THK
> > >
> > > On 4/4/07, White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov
<White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov>