[R-sig-Geo] Good projection for N/S America?

White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov
Thu Apr 5 22:29:21 CEST 2007

Yes, for many uses that is my choice also.  For the conterminous US for
example, the Lambert azimuthal has lower mean distortion than the
commonly used standard projection, the Albers conical equal area,
although Albers was chosen by USGS as a standard because of lower
extreme distortion than many other possible projections.

For our hemispherical application, because we were gridding the data, we
wanted parallels of latitude to be parallel in the projected coordinate
space, which we wouldn't get with the Lambert azimuthal.

(See attached file: whemi.projs.pdf)