[R-sig-Geo] Failure to install spgrass6

Jonathan Greenberg jgreenberg at arc.nasa.gov
Sun Sep 10 06:40:04 CEST 2006

I'm getting this error while trying to install spgrass6 on a dual G5/2ghz w
4gb ram, and macos x 10.4.7:

> rS <- "http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/R"
> install.packages("spgrass6", repos=rS, dependencies=TRUE)

 *** caught segfault ***
address 0x5f4d4550, cause 'memory not mapped'

Traceback:
 1: download.file(url = paste(repos, "PACKAGES.gz", sep = "/"), destfile =
tmpf,     method = method, cacheOK = FALSE, quiet = TRUE, mode = "wb")
 2: try(download.file(url = paste(repos, "PACKAGES.gz", sep = "/"),
destfile = tmpf, method = method, cacheOK = FALSE, quiet = TRUE,     mode =
"wb"), silent = TRUE)
 3: available.packages(contriburl = contriburl, method = method)
 4: .install.macbinary(pkgs = pkgs, lib = lib, contriburl = contriburl,
method = method, available = available, destdir = destdir,
installWithVers = installWithVers, dependencies = dependencies)
 5: install.packages("spgrass6", repos = rS, dependencies = TRUE)

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace
Selection:

***

The dependencies have installed correctly, as far as I know.  Any thoughts?
Is this an issue with the fact that the machine is 64 bit?  I tried
installing this with the 64 bit version of R and couldn't get rgdal
installed...

--j

--
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD