[R-sig-Geo] complex dependency of gstat on sp, R 2.4.0

Edzer J. Pebesma e.pebesma at geo.uu.nl
Thu Oct 5 09:10:42 CEST 2006

Roger,

install.packages("gstat") with 2.4 over a 2.3 library gives me the
following:

ufctr.o sprow.o spswap.o stat.o submat.o userio.o utils.o vario.o
vario_fn.o vario_io.o vecop.o version.o writecmd.o xvalid.o
-L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
** R
** data
** demo
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
Error in loadNamespace(package, c(which.lib.loc, lib.loc), keep.source =
keep.source) :
        in 'sp' methods for export not found: bbox, coordinates,
coordinates<-, coordnames, coordnames<-, gridded, polygons, polygons<-,
dimensions, [, transform, overlay, plot, recenter, spplot, spsample, summary
Error: package 'sp' could not be loaded
Execution halted
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'gstat'
** Removing '/home/edzer/S/library/gstat'
** Restoring previous '/home/edzer/S/library/gstat'

The downloaded packages are in
        /tmp/RtmpnLPOlM/downloaded_packages
Warning messages:
1: installation of package 'gstat' had non-zero exit status in:
install.packages("gstat")
2: cannot create HTML package index in: tools:::unix.packages.html(.Library)

but when I first do install.packges("sp"), followed by ("gstat"), there
are no problems.
I guess that my R version doesn't check for the dependencies first, or
guesses
(wrong) that sp is fine: the dependence on sp is rather complicated: if
R >= 2.4,
require sp >= 0.9, else sp >= 0.8. This is hard to express in DESCRIPTION.

Bests,
--
Edzer