[R-sig-Geo] complex dependency of gstat on sp, R 2.4.0

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Oct 5 10:52:54 CEST 2006

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Edzer J. Pebesma wrote:

> Roger,
>
> install.packages("gstat") with 2.4 over a 2.3 library gives me the
> following:

> ufctr.o sprow.o spswap.o stat.o submat.o userio.o utils.o vario.o
> vario_fn.o vario_io.o vecop.o version.o writecmd.o xvalid.o
> -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
> ** R
> ** data
> ** demo
> ** inst
> ** preparing package for lazy loading
> Error in loadNamespace(package, c(which.lib.loc, lib.loc), keep.source =
> keep.source) :
>         in 'sp' methods for export not found: bbox, coordinates,
> coordinates<-, coordnames, coordnames<-, gridded, polygons, polygons<-,
> dimensions, [, transform, overlay, plot, recenter, spplot, spsample, summary
> Error: package 'sp' could not be loaded
> Execution halted
> ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'gstat'
> ** Removing '/home/edzer/S/library/gstat'
> ** Restoring previous '/home/edzer/S/library/gstat'
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>         /tmp/RtmpnLPOlM/downloaded_packages
> Warning messages:
> 1: installation of package 'gstat' had non-zero exit status in:
> install.packages("gstat")
> 2: cannot create HTML package index in: tools:::unix.packages.html(.Library)
>
> but when I first do install.packges("sp"), followed by ("gstat"), there
> are no problems. I guess that my R version doesn't check for the
> dependencies first, or guesses (wrong) that sp is fine: the dependence
> on sp is rather complicated: if R >= 2.4, require sp >= 0.9, else sp >=
> 0.8. This is hard to express in DESCRIPTION.

Yes, the good things in 2.4.0 (much faster loading time of packages,
faster performance with spatial classes in sp, etc.) come at a price. My
experience is that (some) packages depending on sp, or indirectly by
depending on packages that depend on sp, need to be install.packages()
from scratch (my experience so far on Linux). I think in addition that the
failed package load when a pre-2.4.0 package's namespace doesn't load,
followed by an install.packages() of the offending package, doesn't clear
the failed load, so without quitting R and restarting, it is difficult to
proceed.

I think that the problem is that package R-code binary images in packages
depending even indirectly on packages impacted by the changes in
representation of new-style classes made in the 2.4.0 methods package
still "remember" the previous representation, leading to fresh
installation being required. The package dependency graph in R is now
getting unwieldy, but progress is being made - the present troubles are
just a symptom of moving from a less satisfactory solution to a more
satisfactory one (I hope!).

Bottom line: on the 2.3.1/2.4.0 boundary:

1) save all spatial objects using sp classes externally (not in .RData!),
for instance as shapefiles or geotiff, before upgrading, and import them
again after upgrading and resolving 2).

2) trial and error library() of the packages you use, using
install.packages() and quitting and restarting R until the hiccups go
away. Remember that sp for 2.4.0 is >= 0.9-1. Takes at most 15 minutes.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no