[R-sig-Geo] confused by coordinates

Danlin Yu yud at mail.montclair.edu
Wed Apr 5 17:40:00 CEST 2006

Zhijie:

Coordinates are probably very important in not only analysis in R, but in all environments that deal with spatial data analysis as well.

Difference between the geographical coordinates (Lat. and Long.) and the planar coordinates (the x and y) is basically the difference between spherical coordinates and Descartes' two-dimensional Cartesian coordinates. Distance measurement will be different. In addition, geographical coordinates are always associated with specific Datum (NAD27, NAD83, WGS84, etc.), with different Datum, the same location can have different Lat. and Long. Planar coordinates, on the other hand, in spatial data analysis, are usually not only associated with specific Datum, but specific projection as well (UTM, SPCS, etc.)

Coordinates are important in the field of Geology - I guess, but I would say coordinates are fundamental concepts from Cartography. Hence some good reference book in Cartography might provide further information on the question you ask.

Hope this helps.

Danlin Yu

Danlin Yu, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Earth & Environmental Studies
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ, 07043
Tel: 973-655-4313
Fax: 973-655-4072