[R-sig-Geo] Thanks to all: Distances in geoR package

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr paulojus at est.ufpr.br
Fri Jun 17 15:02:05 CEST 2005

A few words more on this.

My feeling is that the best way to handle this is with coordinate
trasformation (for instance for UTM) and then backtransform
at the  end if required.

There were a few messages along these lines and I will take the
opportunity to mention that there is a package under development (aRT)
which intends to provide this and other functionalities typical from GIS
systems via Terralib
The package page is: http://www.est.ufpr.br/aRT

Still changing rapidly but already some functionalities are already
working.
There is a package vignette and a few exemples in the tests directory.
This package adheres the the "sp" classes andin newer versions also allows
"proj4".

Best
P.J.

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, giovanna jona lasinio wrote:

> Dear all, thanks for the many suggestions, I'll try and let you know
> what worked best. Package fields works well in computing variogram's
> cloud with lon-lat coordinates (returns by default distances in miles)
> and usually I use a loess-built curve to get a nice-looking version of
> the variogram. However I wasn't able to use the "vgram" function's
> output in order to obtain a "variofit" estimated model. What would be
> extremely usefull, in my opinion, is to allow "variog" to accept a
> distance matrix as input, in this way no coordinate transformation would
> be needed. I'm not yet good enough at programming in R to find a good
> solution myself :-) but if I find a solution I'll let you know....
>
> Best
> Giovanna Jona Lasinio

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr
LEG (Laboratório de Estatística e Geoinformação)
Departamento de Estatística
Universidade Federal do Paraná
Caixa Postal 19.081
CEP 81.531-990