[R-sig-Geo] Thanks to all: Distances in geoR package

giovanna jona lasinio giovanna.jonalasinio at uniroma1.it
Fri Jun 17 14:38:10 CEST 2005

Dear all, thanks for the many suggestions, I'll try and let you know
what worked best. Package fields works well in computing variogram's
cloud with lon-lat coordinates (returns by default distances in miles)
and usually I use a loess-built curve to get a nice-looking version of
the variogram. However I wasn't able to use the "vgram" function's
output in order to obtain a "variofit" estimated model. What would be
extremely usefull, in my opinion, is to allow "variog" to accept a
distance matrix as input, in this way no coordinate transformation would
be needed. I'm not yet good enough at programming in R to find a good
solution myself :-) but if I find a solution I'll let you know....

Best
Giovanna Jona Lasinio