[R-sig-Geo] Thanks to all: Distances in geoR package

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jun 17 15:22:34 CEST 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr wrote:

> A few words more on this.
>
> My feeling is that the best way to handle this is with coordinate
> trasformation (for instance for UTM) and then backtransform
> at the  end if required.

And a couple more ...

Which way to go depends on the relative scale of the phenomena of
interest. For up to hundreds of km, the distortions introduced by
projecting to UTM or other suitable projections are small. But at
continental scales, working with Great Circle distances for building
distance matrices is a much better choice, not depending on the origin of
the projection.

I've had C code in spdep for some time to do GC (an if() on a flag passed
through .Call to choose between the R built-in pythag() or the GC
distance). I've put a copy in the spgwr package, but multiple copies means
maintenance problems. The rdist.earth() function in fields is at the R
level - the nice comment on the help page does hold: "Surprisingly this
[is] all done efficiently in S".

I'd like to expose the GC function in the sp package, but have not yet
looked at how contributed packages can share functions (and header files)
at the C level - the header file is the real issue, I think. Would there
be interest in doing this? The GC function as it is does not have an R
wrapper, because in spdep, most of the distances are thrown away
immediately as being beyond threshold.

Feedback, please?

Roger