[R-sig-genetics] simulation of consanguineous unions in human populations with R

Thibaut Jombart jombart at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Mon Jun 16 13:42:25 CEST 2008

Hinda Haned wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had experience simulating non-random mating
> human populations with R.
>
> I want  to simulate the evolution of disease susceptibility loci under
> certain evolutionary scenarios and under specific non-random mating
> schemes. For example, at each generation, p% of the matings occur
> between first cousins, offspring from such unions (must) have on
> average 1/16 of their genome autozygous.
> I've been  exploring  simulation softwares  for a while , but they
> offer limited  mating schemes, mainly because relationships between
> individuals can not be extracted.
> Any ideas or suggestions are welcome !
> Thank you .
Hi Hinda,

I don't know how advanced the tools for simulating genetic data are in
R. Maybe we are not very far, or not that far yet. The package rmetasim
is said to perform individual-based population genetics simulation, so
it may be worth having a look there:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rmetasim/index.html

Otherwise, there is a package GeneticsPed in the Rgenetics project for
handling pedigree data:
http://bioconductor.org/packages/devel/bioc/html/GeneticsPed.html

but it seems to be in an early stage of development, and it does not
seem to perform data simulations.

Good luck,

Thibaut.

--