[R-SIG-Finance] Downloaded stock prices from Yahoo Finance

Dennis Fisher ||@her @end|ng |rom p|e@@th@n@com
Fri May 5 17:30:37 CEST 2023

R 4.2.3
OS X

Colleagues

For years, I have been downloaded stock prices using something like:
	require("jsonlite")
	cmd <- "https://query1.finance.yahoo.com/v7/finance/quote?fields=symbol,longName,regularMarketPrice,regularMarketTime,regularMarketChange&formatted=false&symbols=AAPL"
	fromJSON(cmd)

Yesterday, this stopped working -- the message is:
Error in open.connection(con, "rb") :
  cannot open the connection to 'https://query1.finance.yahoo.com/v7/finance/quote?fields=symbol,longName,regularMarketPrice,regularMarketTime,regularMarketChange&formatted=false&symbols=AAPL'
In addition: Warning message:
In open.connection(con, "rb") :
  cannot open URL 'https://query1.finance.yahoo.com/v7/finance/quote?fields=symbol,longName,regularMarketPrice,regularMarketTime,regularMarketChange&formatted=false&symbols=AAPL': HTTP status was '401 Unauthorized'

When I paste that code directly into a browser, I get:
	{"finance":{"result":null,"error":{"code":"Unauthorized","description":"Invalid Crumb"}}}

I need the most recent closing price and the today's real-time price.  What other options exist to download prices for multiple stocks?

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
Phone / Fax: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
www.PLessThan.com