[R-SIG-Finance] Alternative solvers in rugarch (was: GARCH parameter estimation with rugarch: estimates seem inaccurate)

Enrico Schumann e@ @end|ng |rom enr|co@chum@nn@net
Fri Feb 1 14:28:04 CET 2019

    alexios> Hi Curtis,
    alexios> There is a function in rugarch called ugarchdistribution for performing these types of experiments:

    alexios> spec1 <- ugarchspec(mean.model = list(armaOrder = c(0,0), include.mean = FALSE),
    alexios>                     fixed.pars = list("omega" = 0.2, "alpha1" = 0.2, "beta1" = 0.2))
    alexios> d=ugarchdistribution(spec1, n.sim=2000, m.sim=100, recursive = TRUE, recursive.length = 6000, solver.control=list(trace=1))

    alexios> Try this and perhaps also read this blog post:
    alexios> http://www.unstarched.net/2012/12/26/garch-parameter-uncertainty-and-data-size/

    alexios> Could we benefit from a better nonlinear solver? Perhaps.
    alexios> Could we benefit from code contributions to make it better? Definitely.
    alexios> Feel free to contribute.

    alexios> Best,

    alexios> Alexios

I am not using 'rugarch' and only had a brief look at
the code. But is it possible to "plug in" alternative
solvers, i.e. without changing the package code?

If not, that could be a useful feature, as it would
allow to quickly test solvers. An "external" solver
would have to comply with some interface convention,
i.e. the solver would have to be provided as
a function that takes certain defined input arguments
and evaluates to defined outputs.

--
Enrico Schumann
Lucerne, Switzerland