[R-SIG-Finance] GARCH parameter estimation with rugarch: estimates seem inaccurate

alexios ghalanos @|ex|o@ @end|ng |rom 4d@c@pe@com
Mon Jan 28 19:02:23 CET 2019

Hi Curtis,

There is a function in rugarch called ugarchdistribution for performing these types of experiments:

spec1 <- ugarchspec(mean.model = list(armaOrder = c(0,0), include.mean = FALSE),
                    fixed.pars = list("omega" = 0.2, "alpha1" = 0.2, "beta1" = 0.2))
d=ugarchdistribution(spec1, n.sim=2000, m.sim=100, recursive = TRUE, recursive.length = 6000, solver.control=list(trace=1))

Try this and perhaps also read this blog post:
http://www.unstarched.net/2012/12/26/garch-parameter-uncertainty-and-data-size/

Could we benefit from a better nonlinear solver? Perhaps.
Could we benefit from code contributions to make it better? Definitely.
Feel free to contribute.

Best,

Alexios