[R-SIG-Finance] probability of 50% profit on short options trade

Frank frankm60606 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 21:44:08 CET 2016

David,

I downloaded the SPY options for November 2016. There are 102160 rows of
data. Looking only at the 1/20/2017 expiration options, there are 398
out-of-the-money calls with both volume and open interest and 802
out-of-the-money puts. Figuring out which strangles and straddles would meet
their 1 sigma strategy definition would be a daunting task. This is not
really a problem with R but a problem of what is the definition of a 1 sigma
strategy or straddle. There is also the possibility of data mining the best
strategies.

Once the strategies that meet the 1 sigma definitions are identified, it is
a piece of cake to identify how many strategies make it to 50% profit and
how many are profitable at expiration. I'd do the calculations in C and also
keep track of the maximum loss.

In just writing this email, I've figure out another problem. I could
identity strangles that are about 1 sigma away from the current SPY price,
but, what do they mean by a 1 sigma straddle?

Best,

Frank
Chicago, IL