[R-SIG-Finance] probability of 50% profit on short options trade

David L. Van Brunt, Ph.D. dlvanbrunt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 20:45:48 CET 2016

Frank and Chris-

Yes, the Dough folks are advocating a strategy that I'd like to study a bit
more since the things you both mentioned all jump right out. I think Chris
took my "get started" comment to mean get started in trading this (or
trading at all), rather than get started on the evaluation of their
claims-- I was not clear. My "finding the best trading opportunities" is so
I can study their strategy from there. I've been investing and trading
profitably for 20 years (longs, shorts, equities, indices, options, actual
real estate...), but I enjoy reading and studying what others are up to in
my spare time (as FT job responsibilities allow). So when I see
extraordinary claims I like to try replicating and studying them for myself
- it's fun, and I learn a lot in the process. So many gurus cherry pick
from history (Frank caught that right off), since the most popular thing to
sell for a profit is "advice". :-)

To dissect Dough's broader claims, I'd have to reproduce what they've done
with their "probability of 50% profit" but they're not really giving enough
information to replicate it that I've been able to find.

Hence the post.

It sounds like thus far the short answer from this R forum is simply "we
don't know how to reproduce that."