[R-SIG-Finance] probability of 50% profit on short options trade

David L. Van Brunt, Ph.D. dlvanbrunt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 22:52:32 CET 2016

>From watching their videocasts, they call a 1 sigma straddle the first
strikes outside the 68% window (so it's two-tailed) -- though it could be
taken to mean, post premium credits, that the breakevens are outside that
window. It's all done visually enough in TOS, but of course,
Dough/TastyTrade's p50 (as they call it) is not anywhere in ToS. I saw them
do a show where they described it as an equation to get past having to do
monte carlo every time, but then the tech guys were there and described it
exactly as a monte Carlo simulation (10,000 runs even, IIRC).

They are also using the Probability ITM from Black-Scholes rather than
taking the Delta as an approximation.

The other barriers in studying this are simply data: getting current option
data isn't too tough, but historical options I'm sure is messy and
expensive (and huge). And then here's historical Implied Volatility (not to
be confused with historical volatility).

It may just be too much of a PITA to even try to pick it apart.

David L. Van Brunt, Ph.D.
mailto:dlvanbrunt at gmail.com