[R-SIG-Finance] Wild bootstrap

Matthieu Stigler matthieu.stigler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 10:39:41 CEST 2010

Actually the wild bootstrap just samples the residuals, following
different schemes:
- 1 and -1 ("rademacher" bootstrap)
-normal distribution
-other schemes... see
http://www.econ.queensu.ca/working_papers/papers/qed_wp_1028.pdf

I have implemented such a bootstrap for VAR models (allowing to include
HC estimators from pkg sandwich), see:
library(vars)
?causality

Note that as only the residuals are bootstraped, and not the regressors,
a lot of computation can be saved as you don't need to compute every
time the (X'X)-1 matrix. Because you want to do it many times, it can be
useful not to reuse lm() at each step

I explored:
update(lm)
and finally used something like:
Ynew<-pred+res*rnorm(n=obs, mean=0, sd=x)
PI.boot<-solve(cross, crossprod(Zmlm,Ynew))

But this sure could be more efficient...

Matthieu