[R-SIG-Finance] FinData provider Xiginte and R

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Sun Dec 20 12:35:31 CET 2009

me at censix.com wrote:
> Hi to the list
>
> >From following the list discussions I get that there are R packages for
> pulling Bloomberg and LIM(?) data into R. Does anybody know if there is
> such a package for Xignite.com ? (I looked at xignite because they provide
> the financial data that is used in wolframalpha.com. I like their "you
> only pay what you use" pricing model)
>
> http://www.xignite.com/Support/GettingStarted.aspx
>
> If not, does anyone think that creating one would be a straightforward
> thing, i.e. could such a package be derived from one of the existing
> packages fairly quickly?

Soren,

There's nothing available that I'm aware of.

The Xignite.com API is a SOAP/WSDL web service.

To integrate to R, you could try two main approaches that I would try n
the following order:

- There are a couple of R/SOAP integration projects out there. You could
test and potentially use one of these as a 'Requires' for your Xignite
integration.

- use some other SOAP client libraries in another language, and link
that into your package.

I know that the biocep folks have done some work in SOAP/WSDL to
integrate to Eucalyptus and Amazon's web services, so further discussion
on the issues you have trying to develop some integration might be
better served on a more general R list, as web services development is
not finance specific (though I realize that the data is).

Regards,

  - Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson