[R-SIG-Finance] Portfolio optimization & PCA

Gottlieb, Neil ngottlieb at marinercapital.com
Fri Dec 4 22:59:56 CET 2009

Jorge:

There is a lot of work on using PCA to reduce the correlation matrix.

It has been a very long time, since I did such work however...

Most do PCA and then to an promax rotation to make the resulting factor set
orthogonal. Also some using a sample technique such as EM to build the correlation
Matrix rather than do it all at once.

Try a search on EM Applications. That firm has done such work.
Also these 2 papers might be of interest.

This search string in google returns plenty: "promax rotation factor analysis"

Hope this helps a bit!

Neil