[R-SIG-Finance] How can I retrieve list of all companies listed of a given Index say S&P 500

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 17:27:10 CET 2009

I think careful digging will get you most of the information you want.

Bundling it up and distributing the tools are another story.  S&P 500
is the IP of Standard & Poor's.

http://www.standardandpoors.com/indices/index-licensing/en/us

In addition, the index itself isn't static, you would need a
time-series of index changes, which isn't readily available for free
(AFAIK).

If you are just looking to get a daily snapshot of the current
components, you can take the list scraped from Wikipedia and use the
getQuote function in quantmod to get the data from yahoo rather
quickly (200 symbol max per request).

Best,
Jeff