[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] A VaR question

Cedrick W. Johnson cedrick at cedrickjohnson.com
Thu Nov 12 13:27:14 CET 2009

<warning: coffee-has-not-kicked-in-yet>
A chime in regarding the calculation of VaR on spreads. I follow the
approach Brian mentioned below, in addition to calculating the VaR for
the actual  spread itself which yields yet another metric called
'Diversification Benefit' (subtracting the spread VaR minus the combined
VaR of the two legs). I'm trying to recall amongst the stacks of papers
how to determine VaR on spreads that could be <= 0 (I admit, I've taken
a rather haphazard approach and eliminated the timeseries minus the 0/-
periods in question).

-cj