[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] A VaR question

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Thu Nov 12 13:05:54 CET 2009

I calculate the risk of a particular spread using the underlying assets
as you suggested in 1>

However, your risk if you are short the spread is (potentially)
different than your risk if you are long the spread, so keep that in
mind as well.

Another approach is to calculate the portfolio risk of the trading
strategy, regardless of the underlying assets, but you need trade and P
& L history for that approach.

Regards,

     - Brian

--