[R-SIG-Finance] VaR again

Megh Dal megh700004 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 29 18:49:15 CEST 2009

Hi Brian, Thank you so much for this kind reply. I understand that, in VaR calculation all Kurtosis, skewness need to be incorporated and therefore some other fat-tailed distribution like t-dist can be better alternative of Normal distribution. However here my purpose is little bit different. Here my goal is not to calculate VaR most accurately using some complex distribution/modelling (however you also agree that a sophisticated model does not guarantee a better estimate) rather to get a overall view of total risk of my portfolio and contribution of each component on that.

Here you suggested to calculate VaR in percentage. however I am not sure how to do it in current scenario because, Currency exposure is not "explicit" here. Am I missing something detail here? Can you please be more specific? Any reproducible example and/or web resources will be truly helpful to me.

Thanks,