[R-SIG-Finance] Framework for VAR allocation among traders

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Mon Mar 17 15:20:56 CET 2008

elton wang wrote:
> Brian,
> I have a question on your paper:
> If you use skewness and kurtosis in the VaR
> calculation, you want to make sure:
 >
> 1. these are exist if the underlying distribution is
> non-normal.

At least one of skewness!=0 or kurtosis!=3 exist if the underlying
distribution is non-normal.  Perhaps I don't understand your first point?

If skewness=0 and kurtosis=3, the Cornish-Fisher expansion does not
change the Gaussian normal distribution.  So it should have no adverse
consequences if utilized even if all portfolio assets were normal (which
seems a highly unlikely circumstance).

> 2. your sample skewness and kurtosis is good estimates
> of true skewness and hurtosis.

While it is possible to fit many different fat-tailed distributions to
the sample, and derive skewness and kurtosis from these, I don't see how
this is a better approach than utilizing the sample skewness and
kurtosis.  We did show in the paper how to test the Cornish Fisher and
Edgeworth expansion against a very skewed and fat-tailed Skew Student-t
distribution.

Another problem with utilizing a fitted distribution is that many fitted
distributions would  not carry the same properties of being
differentiable by the weight (properties of the Gaussian normal and
Cornish Fisher distributions) in a portfolio to obtain a good estimator
of Component Risk in a portfolio.

In the main, the data cleaning method is most valuable for adding
stability to the effects of the co-moments in decomposing the risk to
avoid undue influence by a small number of extreme events.  The method
was developed to specifically not change observations that were not "in
the tail", and to keep the direction (but not the absolute magnitude) of
the extreme events.  As I discussed in the text of the paper, I do not
believe that you would ever use the cleaning method for measuring VaR or
ES ex port, but only to stabilize the predictions of contribution on a
forward-looking ex ante basis.

> In part 5 you discussed the Robust estimation but it
> could be stronger argument IMHO. For example, do you
> have convergence/sensitivity analysis on estimated
> skewness/kurtosis results for your cleaning method?

I agree that a sensitivity analysis would be a good addition.  I will
start thinking about how to add that.

Regards,

   - Brian