[R-SIG-Finance] returns convention

Peter Carl peter at braverock.com
Mon Oct 8 22:20:40 CEST 2007

On Monday 08 October 2007 6:23:21 am paul sorenson wrote:
> Is it usually assumed that references to "returns" are calculated as
> diff(log(prices))?  Compared with say the simple fractional change from
> one price to the next?
>
> For example, in PerformanceAnalytics I notice that the default value of
> CalculateReturns is diff(log(prices)).
>
> I guess it probably doesn't matter much either way for small changes, I
> just wanted to know if there was some common convention when I see an R
> function that expects a returns vector.
>
> cheers

> -- Subscriber-posting only.

Despite the default you point out, most of the functions in
PerformanceAnalytics assume simple returns.  Perhaps an underlying question
is "which is the 'correct' way to calculate returns?"  but the answer for
what to is "neither", which is somewhat unsatisfying (to point to Jeff's
earlier comment).  The "better" method depends what you are trying to
accomplish.  Most of PerformanceAnalytics' functions are about performance
description, so we have erred to the simple which is slightly more
conservative.

Before we get to 1.0, I hope to have methods included for handling both
explicitly where needed.

As Eric already pointed out, continuously compounded returns have an advantage
over simple returns in that they are additive through time and they include
the effects of compounding.   The drawback to log returns is that they are
not additive in a portfolio.

The simple return on a portfolio of assets is a weighted average of the
simple returns on the individual assets.  Average simple returns can be
thought of as a reasonable one-step-ahead forecast; average compound returns
are a better representation of the expected return over a longer period.

But what really matters is that you are consistent, so that the comparisons
you make are imprecise in the same direction and the resulting relative
ranking is correct.

I can't speak for the assumptions of other packages or functions expecting
returns, but I would note that there seem to be relatively few.  If I recall
correctly, many functions assume prices and make the conversion.

pcc

--
Peter Carl
145 Scottswood Rd