[R-SIG-Finance] returns convention

Eric Zivot ezivot at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 8 21:35:39 CEST 2007

Log returns, or continuously compounded returns, are typically used when
doing statistical analysis of returns because of the nice additivity
properties of multiperiod returns and the fact that they are defined between
-00 and +00. However, you have to be a bit careful when dealing with
portfolios since the log portfolio return is not a weighted average of the
log returns on the individual stocks. I actually have not seen a good
discussion of the implication of using log returns for portfolio analysis.
Does someone have a good reference?