[R-SIG-Finance] returns convention

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:28:40 CEST 2007

It seems to be common within academic literature - econometric and
finance, though I'd not go so far as to rely on one definition across
a range of applications.  Probably should/could be, but unlikely to
ever happen.  Even my quantmod package isn't entirely consistent - as
some functions are log diff and others simple percent changes -
depending on use. Though I *think* it is documented where each is
used.

And as far as I can tell, my trading accounts don't change by log
differences : )

Jeff