[R-sig-finance] Its function and yahoo

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Mon May 2 16:39:57 CEST 2005

Daniel,

thanks for this.

> Hi,
> > Yes, so maybe time for someone else to become immortal by supplying
> > a patch
>
> I have done it ... so I am immortal :)
> This is a still a modified version of the original tseries version ..
> so I am still partly immortal,

Maybe it is time to try to handle this more flexibly, in particular
concerning the return class. So that it can return "ts", "its", "zoo" or
"timeSeries" objects. For "zoo" the advantage would be that "Date"
indexes can be used for daily data and "yearmon" for monthly data
(possibly with appropriate frequencies specified), the package vignette
contains a worked example for that.
Furthermore, it would probably be good to have a single authorative
implementation instead of each time series package reproducing this
functionality.

> see file attached.
> In addition to adjustements,
> I have splitted the function in two parts:
> 1. reading quotes from local file
> 2. downloading from

An alternative would be to read from a connection (which could be a
local file or a URL) with the default of querying yahoo.com.

just my EUR 0.02