[R-sig-finance] Re: Rmetrics 191.10057

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jul 5 15:25:26 CEST 2004

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 09:29:03AM +0200, Tamas Papp wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 11:07:09AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>
> > In the meantime, you can fetch sources and i386 Debian packages manually
> > (sorry, no apt-get support here) from
> >
> > 	http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/rmetrics/
>
> Has anyone tried making the Debian packages for the powerpc
> architecture?

It'll happen automatically once the packages 'are in'. So for real proof you
may need to wait those few days.

> Note that I am not asking that somebody compile them for me, I am only
> interested in whether they build.  I am considering buying a powerbook
> and running debian on it, and it this doesn't work, it would seriously
> discourage me.

I'm pretty sure they'll work as the actual arch-dependent code is in 'only'
a few isolated Fortran or C files to do very specific tasks.  R itself is
pretty good about being portable.  Check for example the buildd on some
other CRAN packages such as VR or Hmisc

	http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=vr
	http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=hmisc

These packages typically fail only when something is (temporarily) wrong
with the toolchain on that arch.

Dirk

--
White House officials praised the performance of the controversial
new Diebold electronic voting machines, which successfully tabulated